The only reason why this surprise is a little surprise is because the Fiat 500 is that small. I’d say it is a pretty large surprise if you’d look at the amount of sheet metal that needed replacement. It all started with my friend pointing out a rusty corner in the back of the engine bay, we’re still friends though. Turns out the rusty corner was part of a rusty edge, which was part of a rusty panel.
“It all started with my friend pointing out a rusty corner in
the back of the engine bay, we’re still friends though.”
I removed the engine and rear seat and found the worst repair I have seen so far. At one point someone had sawn out a close to rectangular section out of the firewall and welded in a close to rectangular piece of metal. The rectangular cut-out was unfortunately not based on the same rectangle as the replacement sheet metal. The beautifully fabricated patch panel was multiple millimetres thick and thereby over twice as thick as the original.
Before cutting out the whole panel, I had ordered a piece of sheet metal because at that point I thought replacing a small corner would be enough. It took multiple cutting disks before I figured it’d be best to order a whole replacement panel. So I then removed nearly the entire firewall. The photo shows the gaping hole that would normally be covered by the firewall.
The replacement panel was delivered pretty quick and I got to test fit it nearly straight away. This panel was, like the battery tray panel, not shaped like the hole that it needs to fit in. It is both a little to wide and tall, and in no way will ever fit in the car without cutting it up. So that is what I did, or am still doing. I’ll let you know if I managed to make that panel work!